Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weight of undergraduate institution in medical school admissions?

I'm a senior in highschool and I am having a hard time choosing between going to a public school in my state (UW-Milwaukee) which has a research facility and "above average national admission" to med school (although, im sure that is kinda scewed as it includes people applying from community colleges etc. etc.) and going to a more prestigious institution that is out on the east coast and way more expensive/unfamiliar to me.





Im wondering how much the undergrad institution matters in admission to medical schools. Is a 3.5 at a prestigious college better than a 4.0 at a state school?

Weight of undergraduate institution in medical school admissions?
I believe that each institution puts their own weight on your gpa. I am in Medical school in Canada and you need a minimum of a 3.7 to apply at most of the schools here. Some Universities here place more weight on your personal interview or your MCAT. I all depends on the place you are applying. My advice is to apply to several and then you can make your decision when you find out where you have been accepted.


No comments:

Post a Comment