Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is there a medical technologist out there that can tell me if they enjoy their job?

I really would like to get into this field but after doing some research on the internet I have found there are alot of med. techs that hate it. I dont want to go to school for a job I hate.





Also, I read an answer to someone else's question on this site about salary that said medical technologists make around $10 an hour. However, I have found numerous websites that say you can expect to make around $40k to $50k per year. Salary isn't that important to me but I don't want to make $10 for the rest of my life, especially with a degree. Is this true?





Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is there a medical technologist out there that can tell me if they enjoy their job?
The truth: You will enjoy working as a Med Tech if you are employed at a larger hospital. In the smaller hospitals, you will feel unappreciated and run around like a chicken with your head cut off! The shortage is worsening so you may be drawing blood, answering phones, and trying to get all your testing done by people who want their results "yesterday". BUT, if you work at a larger hospital, the testing will be more interesting (think teaching hospital with studies going on, etc) and you will only have to do your tech work, not a lot of other stuff to bog you down.


Wherever you work, you will most certainly make more than $20/hr and sometimes much higher depending on the shortage in your area.


No comments:

Post a Comment